Extending FileList with CrLf

Jimmie Houchin jhouchin at texoma.net
Mon Aug 4 18:47:56 UTC 2003

My opinion has been stated. I am neither implementing nor designing any
solution. I can't argue the technical merits of either position.
However, I would like to express an experience I've had which probably
could be debated on behalf of both sides. :)

I'm not yet very experienced with Morphic but I love how easy it is to
throw up some simple GUI to accomplish something. I mean simple. Try
this in Python. ;)

Example: I'm frequently parsing, harvesting content and editing text
files. I love using FileList2 #modalFileSelector to select the file
rather than hardcoding a filepath into the code. However, FileList2
#modalFileSelector returns a StandardFileStream and consequently (to my
perspective) broken files. :(

Naively speaking it would be nice to be able to select an alternative
FileStream. Naively I would prefer it by default to use a "smart" option
for returning my text, but if not, the ability choose FS.

FileList2 modalFileSelectorAsCrLfFS
FileList2 modalFileSelectorAsSFS

Depending on the defaults in the system the shoe could be on either
foot. With the other group wanting some such options.

I could easily write these methods myself for myself, but that isn't the
best solution.

Well, I may be off the beam here, but oh well. :)

Jimmie Houchin