Exception handling question

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Aug 5 18:52:41 UTC 2003

"Andreas Raab" <andreas.raab at gmx.de> wrote:
> > And, I'd argue that when I say #halt, I mean #halt, and don't
> > want your handler to trap it.  I could equally make the case
> > in your example that halting the process without you trapping
> > it is exactly what I want to happen in order to debug your
> > exception handlers.
>
> Or in order to debug some obscure case of event notification failure. I
> agree that #halt should halt.

What was wrong with simply making Halt a subclass of Exception instead
of Error?  People should basically never try to catch Exception, but
instead Error.  If they really do put Exception there, well, shouldn't
they get what they ask for?

For example, one reason to catch Exception would be to put in a custom
debugger.

Lex