[RFI]Mac performance gap between OS-9 and OSX

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Tue Aug 5 20:00:36 UTC 2003

Hi,

Reading the TN it seems as if it may be worthwhile to experiment with
different strategies in DisplayScreen's forceDamageToScreen: method. E.g.,
try if simply merging the individual rectangles into a larger one helps to
improve performance, simply replacing

	rectList do:[:r| self forceToScreen: r].

with

	self forceToScreen: (Rectangle merging: rectList).

might be a worthwhile attempt. If that does the trick I think we will want
to have a primitiveFlush which takes the composite region so that VMs can
handle it if they want to (you definitely _don't_ want to do this if there's
any munging of byte order or color space involved so it would have to be
optional).

Cheers,
  - Andreas