[ENH][VM] faster image startup

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Wed Aug 6 20:26:25 UTC 2003

> Now one of the 'ugly' things I did here to avoid altering the
> Interpreter class definition and having 16K of memory sucked up by a
> global one-time use table is to allocate a local 4096 element
> Array in ObjectMemory>>initializeObjectMemory: which gets passed
> to an altered adjustAllOopsBy: which remembers the methods oops that
> have refer to external primitives as it's looking for Oops with the
> Mark Bit set.

Yuck! Why don't you grab it from the end of the object memory itself? E.g.,
simply adjusting endOfMemory to just after the end of the OM will give you
_lots_ of space for recording the CMs. Once the scan is complete you set it
back and off you go. No need for nasty hacks in C methods.

Cheers,
  - Andreas