GUI output testing

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at cs.otago.ac.nz
Thu Aug 7 05:50:02 UTC 2003

Colin Putney <cputney at wiresong.ca> wrote:
	I'm a bit confused about the purpose of this.  Are you doing
	this in order to save your assembly of morphs to a file and
	later reconstruct it?

No, certainly not.  That would be silly.  No, it would be downright
INSANE for me to do that.   (I do not say "for *anyone* to do that";
for *me*.  I don't know Morphic well enough to do it, that's why.)
If I wanted simply to save and restore, Squeak has several ways to
do that already.

I thought I had made it clear that this is a *testing* tool and it
is an important feature, as a testing tool that it NOT save enough
information for accurate reconstruction.

	Or is this related to testing?

Yes, as the Subject line should have made clear.

	If it's about testing, what does converting to XML allow you to
	do that you can't do with the morphs themselves?

Run diff(1) and other file comparison tools.
Stuff the dump into an XML library that implements XPath.
Keep the baselines for regression testing *out* of the image.
Give me something that _can't_ crawl across the screen spinning
and croaking while my checking code is trying to look at it.
And so on.