Method source pointer encoding (was: Squat progress 7 August2003: method IDs)

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Thu Aug 7 23:47:24 UTC 2003

On Fri, 8 Aug 2003, Andreas Raab wrote:

> While this in itself may not automatically be more compact than the current
> source encoding it would open up the ability to use source code repositories
> other than the sources and changes file, including (for example) .sar or
> .mcv repositories. This would also reduce the currently exploding growth of
> the changes file when you load something from SM. I could imagine that
> PackageInfo could be a pretty good candidate for that MethodHome.

Hear, hear...

I liked this idea when you brought it up before, and I still like it - it
seems like a good Kernel Cleanup sub-project.  Andreas, if you've given
this some thought, do you have any hints to those that might try to take
it on?  What would be the Simplest Thing we could do to get started in
this direction?