Anyone ever used PrintJobPlugin?

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Fri Aug 8 02:55:28 UTC 2003

On Thu, Aug 07, 2003 at 10:59:14PM +0200, Andreas Raab wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > I think in Squeak we should stick to the PostScript convention, 72
> > points per inch. The platform plugin can then figure out what to do.
>
> Only if we use floats. There are plenty of situations in which you want to
> be able to print at higher resolutions (do I need to remind you that we have
> 200dpi screens these days?) so sticking to 72 is only going to work with
> fractional measures. Mind you I am not really interested to use PJP only for
> printing forms or EPS in the long term - I want to use it for some more
> general things and 72 dpi is simply not enough granularity on a printer.

A point is a unit of measure, sort of like a cubit only smaller. It does
not imply integerness.

Dave

p.s. The point as a unit of measure predates Postscript by about 100 years.
Cubits go back a bit further, and are a well-defined unit of measure
in same sense that the size of a 17 inch monitor is well-defined display
size. Thus the cubit would be a good standard unit of measure for Squeak
printing and display sizing. I propose milliCubits in the interest of
notational simplicity, such that a 12 point font would be represented
internally in Squeak as about 8 or 9 milliCubits, depending on your
screen resolution.