ANSI DateAndTime - a question

Brent Pinkney brent.pinkney at aircom.co.za
Fri Aug 8 18:59:11 UTC 2003

Hi,

I finally have some time to finish up my DateAndTime implementation as
documentted on th Swiki.

I am a tad confused as to what name the class implementing the DateAndTime
protocol should have.

I only have the final draft of the ANSI standard, so maybe someone with the
official copy can help.

The standard refers to a list of known globals....

Section 5.2 Standard Globals

DateAndTime		<DateAndTime factory>	unspecified 	DateTime Protocols

However later on in the specificaiotn, the section on date and time factory
seems to contradict this....

5.8.4 Protocol: <DateAndTime factory>
Conforms To
   <Object>
Description
   Represents protocol for creating an abstraction for a particular day of
the year.
Standard Globals
   DateTime		Conforms to the protocol <DateAndTime factory>. Its language
element
			type is unspecified.

This suggests to me that DateAndTime is the name of the protocol but the
class implementing it should be called DateTime.

I loaded the ANSI package from SM, which uses a class DateAndTime.

I am confused.

Cheers

Brent