[ANN][VM] Ephemerons for Squeak

Nevin Pratt nevin at smalltalkpro.com
Sat Aug 9 04:05:13 UTC 2003

Tim Rowledge wrote:

>Nevin Pratt <nevin at smalltalkpro.com> wrote:
>

>>Who/what is "PPS"?
>>

>ParcPlace Systems

Which, circa about 1995, became PPD (ParcPlace Digitalk), then circa
about 1997-1998, became ObjectShare.  The quoted OOPSLA conference was
1997.  That's why I wasn't sure what you meant by "PPS".

Anyway, then about 1999, the IP (Intelectual Property) for Visual
Smalltalk Enterprise (VSE) was sold to Seagull, then about 2000, the IP
for VisualWorks (VW) was sold to Cincom, plus maintenance rights to VSE
also went to Cincom.  Then later (2001, I think) the  Consulting
Services division of ObjectShare was gobbled up by StarBase, and I
believe "ObjectShare" as a legal entity ceased to exist.  Then in the
latter part of 2002, StarBase was in turn acquired by Borland.

If DarcPlace/DodgyTalk (PPD) indeed had a patent on Ephemerons, my best
guess would be that the Ephemorons IP went to Cincom, along with the IP
for VW (especially since Ephemorons were recently placed into VW,
beginning with, I believe, version 7.0).

So, if a patent exists, I would think Cincom has the patent now.  Maybe
Jim Robertson and/or Alan Knight and/or some other Cincom'er could be
queried about it.

Nevin

--
Nevin Pratt