Shrinking selection

Daniel Vainsencher danielv at netvision.net.il
Sat Aug 9 12:34:23 UTC 2003

Hey Torge.

This package is cool - I personally think we should get it into the
image in the next cycle, if possible.

A couple of comments -

It has the side effects of rebinding alt-<right arrow> and alt-<left
arrow> to move-word-right and move-word-left. I find this annoying,
because I have other uses for alt-<arrows>, specifically, activating
links and going back (as in a web browser). Currently the move-word is
bound only to ctrl (on Linux). Could you change your package so that it
does the same?

Another annoyance is that when I use this package all of my little
patches to keyboard handling break because of the renamed variables that
are accessed directly all the time. This isn't your fault - your package
nicely hides the representation behind accessors, it is the current
image that directly accesses those variables everywhere. Could you
submit a patch that protects them from direct access, as a step towards
changing the representation?

Daniel