Moving BFAV traffic off of squeak-dev short-term (was Re: BFAV email prefix?)

Bert Freudenberg bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Tue Aug 12 09:30:28 UTC 2003

Doug Way wrote:

> 1. Have Cees set up another mailing list called something like
> squeak-bugs or squeak-harvesting.  He's already set up a bunch of lists
> so I believe this is simple to do.  (It would need to accept posts from
> anyone whether subscribed or not, although perhaps it could reject spam
> by requiring a specific string to be present in the subject or body.)

Good idea. I like "squeak-harvest" for a name.

> 2. Have Bert change the sqfixes (and possibly sqbugs) archive to read
> the new squeak-bugs list.  This would still not be a permanent
> solution... it would eventually be replaced with something like the Bug
> Fix Archive Server which Brent describes.  But it would be simple to
> switch right away.

Done. The sqfixes archive now accepts messages with List-IDs matching
"squeak-(dev|harvest).lists.squeakfoundation.org".

> 3. Switch the "mail to list" feature in the image to post to
> squeak-bugs.  (I think we were also talking about figuring out which (if
> any) steps of the harvesting process should still be posted to
> squeak-dev... we may still want to have the initial [FIX]/[ENH] posts
> show up on both lists for example.)

Well, I think the interested people will subscribe to both lists.
Perhaps a daily or weekly summary could be generated and posted to
squeak-dev, with links to the original messages on sqfixes. This would
keep all others informed without too much clutter.

> (and 4. Switch the BFAV to also post to squeak-bugs of course)
>
> I believe this is all we'd need to do.  These steps are all quite
> simple... should we try to do this soon, say, right near the beginning
> of 3.7alpha in a couple of weeks?

Yes!

-- Bert