iPAQ 2215 (was RE: Benchmarks (was Re: XScaled Squeak))

Yoshiki Ohshima Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org
Tue Aug 12 23:53:58 UTC 2003

  Hello,

>         This weekend I decided to see how things have improved for
> Squeak on handhelds since my Casio E-105. Signs are encouraging -
> The iPaq 2215 gave:
>
>         18233618 bytecodes/sec; 635242 sends/sec
>
> which is consistent with the numbers Yoshiki reported for the
> SL-C750.  This was using the 'TinyImage' and
> 'SqueakVM-alpha6-030206-PPC2002-ARM.exe' from Yoshiki's web site.

  Sounds good.  How do you *feel* the "overall" speed on it?

>         I had some troubles with this though.  As soon as I try to
> resize the workspace, the cursor gets stuck in 'resize mode' with
> the yellow dot and I can't 'click' (i.e. screen tap) anywhere to
> get out of this mode.

  Ah, yes, this is annoying, isn't it?^^; I think this is fixed in
recent images.

>         This VM also doesn't seem to play too nice with "Windows
> Mobile 2003" either.  I had to reset the iPaq several times while
> I was playing around with this because I couldn't just 'quit' with the
> cursor stuck in that 'resize mode', and there didn't seem to be any way
> put Squeak in the 'background' and run other PocketPC apps.

  When Squeak is running in non-fullscreen mode and tap the keyboard
bar (?), or press the hardware keys for the applications, what
happens?

  It is true that Squeak VM is not a nice citizen as a WinCE app.

>         So, does anyone have a nice .zip with image+changes+
> sources+vm suitable for the iPaq?

  I don't have such a nice image in handy.  But Aaron's Dynapad image
is supposed to work fine.

-- Yoshiki