Trying to build SerialPlugin for IrDA under MPW (MacOS 8.6)

Hans-Martin Mosner hmm at heeg.de
Fri Aug 15 05:00:01 UTC 2003

Hi,
I recently got a serial IrDA adapter and wanted to play around with it
under Squeak. This adapter has a baudrate switching mechanism which
depends on toggling the DTR and RTS lines in the correct sequence. To
support this, I wanted to build a new SerialPlugin with an additional primitive.

However, the plugin as built with MPW does not seem to be accepted by
the VM, which still uses the internal plugin in all cases. I've tried
placing the plugin in a 'Plugins' subfolder of the VM's folder, and then
directly into the VM folder, without any success.

I have considered placing debug outputs in appropriate places in the VM,
but building a complete VM with MPW is not easy - I would have to create
an MPW makefile for the whole shebang, which is more work than I can
invest at the moment.

Does any of you Mac aficionados have an idea where the problem could be?
I have appended the plugin and corresponding source files in a ZIP file
(it's not big)  so if you want to try it out you could do it right now :-)

BTW, would it make sense to incorporate support for switching serial
port parameters of an open port into the standard plugin?
Closing and opening a port just to change the baud rate seems a little overkill...

Cheers,
Hans-Martin