Trying to build SerialPlugin for IrDA under MPW (MacOS 8.6)

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Fri Aug 15 18:45:23 UTC 2003

a) You might want to, as already pointed out try the enhanced/extended
serial port plugin to add this
capabilities to.

b) Mmm ask management to get you a copy of codewarrior eh? Might need
to get a old
copy off ebay  to support 8.6 tho.

c) If you come to OOPSLA 2003 you own me a beer

d)You get a (cfragInitFunctionErr -2821A fragment's initialization
routine returned an error.)
  error on the GetDiskFragment() call. It says that CarbonLib is the
issue.
VM starting about 3.0.2 were carbonized for os-8.x/9. Which VM are you
using?
Also I'm not sure what the problem is, could be the carbonlib stub, or
the carbonlib extension. Go visit
http://developer.apple.com/carbon/ and ensure you've got the right
version of everything on the machine
and in your development environment, and of course you are trying to
use a carbonized VM and if you think
you are linking the carbonlib stub into your plugin

Also to review

One of the things that might cause trouble is your setting of

#define VM_PROXY_MAJOR 1
#define VM_PROXY_MINOR 5

in sqVirtualMachine.h
Ensure the header file you are using for the VM matches the header file
for the plugin you are building
because in serialplugin.c you have the following tests and if they fail
why the plugin isn't used.

EXPORT(int) setInterpreter(struct VirtualMachine* anInterpreter) {
	int ok;

	interpreterProxy = anInterpreter;
	ok = interpreterProxy->majorVersion() == VM_PROXY_MAJOR;
	if (ok == 0) {
		return 0;
	}
	ok = interpreterProxy->minorVersion() >= VM_PROXY_MINOR;
	return ok;
}

You could insert a DebugStr(); in there and see if the VM actually
calls it by dropping into the
machine debugger if successful. If it's not called then it's a loader
issue, alas right now you  need
a proper debugger to trap the failed load module call to find out what
the error code and error diagnostic information is

On Thursday, August 14, 2003, at 10:11  PM, Hans-Martin Mosner wrote:

> Hans-Martin Mosner wrote:
>>
>> I have appended the plugin and corresponding source files in a ZIP
>> file
>> (it's not big)  so if you want to try it out you could do it right
>> now :-)
>
> Empty promises... I forgot to attach the ZIP. Here it is,
> now...<SerialPlugin.zip>

===