Ancient (1996?) Tablet PC and Squeak

Joshua 'Schwa' Gargus schwa at cc.gatech.edu
Fri Aug 15 18:56:21 UTC 2003

On Fri, Aug 15, 2003 at 11:12:42AM -0700, David Faught wrote:
> Joshua 'Schwa' Gargus wrote:
> >If I were doing this, I'd write a small morph that would recognize
> >characters and append them to the clipboard.  Run Squeak in a small
> >window just big enough for this morph.  You could add extra goodies
> >like a 'clear' button (pretty much necessary), a 'delete' button if
> >the last character was wrong, and a 'clear' button to clear the
> >clipboard.  It would be quite easy.
>
> This is pretty much what I had in mind, except there are two clear
> parts to it in order to replace the "native" pen application.  One is
> handwriting recognition and the other is an on-screen keyboard.  What
> you are suggesting sounds sort of like a hybrid of the two.

I'm not sure what you mean by hybrid, I'm not suggesting anything to
do with a keyboard.  It would be an area to write on that would append
each recognized character to the current clipboard contents.  As an
example use-case, you could tap the 'clear' button, write a URL,
go to your web browser, highlight the location field, and paste in
the URL.

I agree with Alan that such an approach would be unwieldy, especially
if you have to right-click and select 'paste' from a menu.  Ugh.

Joshua