Ancient (1996?) Tablet PC and Squeak

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Fri Aug 15 18:57:12 UTC 2003

On Friday 15 August 2003 11:12 am, David Faught wrote:
> >> So my
> >> question is this:  how feasible is it to use Squeak in place of
> >> the native handwriting recognition, copying text out of Squeak
> >> and pasting it into other native OS applications, like the web
> >> browser?
> >
> >If I were doing this, I'd write a small morph that would recognize
> >characters and append them to the clipboard.  Run Squeak in a
> > small window just big enough for this morph.  You could add extra
> > goodies like a 'clear' button (pretty much necessary), a 'delete'
> > button if the last character was wrong, and a 'clear' button to
> > clear the clipboard.  It would be quite easy.
>
> This is pretty much what I had in mind, except there are two clear
> parts to it in order to replace the "native" pen application.  One
> is handwriting recognition and the other is an on-screen keyboard.
>  What you are suggesting sounds sort of like a hybrid of the two.

The new Genie recognizer (still unreleased) is quite good, and easy to
integrate with other applications.

If it were possible to use FFI to fake keystrokes, that might be one
solution: when your keyboard entry morph gets a recognized character
(or has one of its keyboard buttons pressed) it can fake a keyboard
(as well as appending to the clipboard).

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com