Sublicensing

Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de
Sat Aug 16 06:20:58 UTC 2003

On Fri, Aug 15, 2003 at 08:56:22PM -0400, Joshua 'Schwa' Gargus wrote:
> Well, there's several aspects to this.  First, Squeak isn't Linux.  You
> said that is important to be able to build proprietary systems "as you
> can do with Linux".  But Linux is GPL, and we know that the GPL doesn't
> work with SqueakL.

Yes, yes, exactly my point: They even can do it with GPL/LGPL. We can't.
That's why it isn't enough to have a license that the FSF calles "free",
we need more.

> The APSL refers repeatedly to file-based distribution of source code.
> It is clearly not designed with Squeak's source code model in mind.
> On what basis do you conclude that an APSL-licensed Squeak could form
> a platform that applications with arbitrary licences could run on and
> be distributed with?  It is, at best, extremely ambiguous.  I would
> like to hear a laywer's opinion on the implications of the APSL for
> distributing Squeak applications under arbitrary licenses.

1.6 "Modifications" mean any addition to, deletion from, and/or change
 to, the substance and/or structure of the Original Code, any previous
 Modifications, the combination of Original Code and any previous
 Modifications, and/or any respective portions thereof. When code is
 released as a series of files, a Modification is: (a) any addition to
 or deletion from the contents of a file containing Covered Code;
 and/or (b) any new file or other representation of computer program
 statements that contains any part of Covered Code.

The clause "When code is distributed in files" does not apply
to squeak. It's nicely formulated as "Project isFileBased ifTrue: []".

So we have:

"Modifications" mean any addition to, deletion from, and/or change
 to, the substance and/or structure of the Original Code, any previous
 Modifications, the combination of Original Code and any previous
 Modifications, and/or any respective portions thereof.

SqueakL:

 If the Modified Software contains modifications, overwrites, replacements,
 deletions, additions, or ports to new platforms of: (1) the methods of
 existing class objects or their existing relationships, or (2) any part
 of the virtual machine, then for so long as the Modified Software is
 distributed or sublicensed to others, such modified, overwritten, replaced, deleted,
 added and ported portions of the Modified Software must be made
 publicly available, preferably by means of download from a website, at
 no charge under the terms set forth in Exhibit A below.

So we have:

 "the methods of existing class objects or their existing relationships,
 or (2) any part of the virtual machine"

Vs.

 "the substance and/or structure of the Original Code"

Pretty much the same, only more general.

   Marcus

--
Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de  -- Squeak! http://squeak.de