Dual licensing

Colin Putney cputney at wiresong.ca
Sat Aug 16 08:42:11 UTC 2003

Whatever deal we may or may not be able to work out with Apple or
Disney, I propose that our ultimate goal should be to have as much of
Squeak be as free as possible. As with the packaging and clean up
projects, I think we'll have better chances for success if we try to
change the license gradually, in small increments. Once we have
everything available under a dual license, we can discard the SqueakL.
Some thoughts and questions aimed at getting this process started:

1. Are we generally agreed that, all other things being equal, we want
Squeak to be available under the MIT license?

2. Are we confident that everything currently in Squeak is licensed
under the SqueakL? What about the platform specific VM code?

3. What would be required to ensure that all new code entering the
update stream is dual-licensed? Probably we need a lawyer to answer
this.

4. Should we try to go the additional step of trying to have copyright
assigned to a single party? Is the Squeak Foundation a suitable legal
entity for this? What about the Viewpoints Research Institute? ESUG?

I think it would be feasible to have all changes in the 3.7 update
stream be dual-licensed. Is that unrealistic? Undesirable?

Colin