Sublicensing

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Sat Aug 16 10:04:32 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-08-15 at 21:36, Joshua 'Schwa' Gargus wrote:
> Eg: pretty much anything in Squeak up to the point
> that Squeak Central left Apple.  And maybe more.

Err, Disney. And certainly more, namely every single package with
unclear licensing status.

But, yes, that's the only resolution of the licensing issue I can see
(as you know, I tried the 're-license' route and failed). And I, for
one, will not spend a single minute of my time on it. By the time you
are done re-writing, company X will step up claiming patent on a crucial
piece of the code, then Apple steps up claiming that NewSqueak was not
properly cleanroom engineerd, ...

In other words: too much work for too little gain. I'd be prepared to
spend some time to get some extra legal padding (which is what I did
when trying to talk Apple into more favorable licensing terms), but a
rewrite just to satisfy *lawyers*? Nay, too much honour on them...