MorphicEventDispatcher>>dispatchDefault:with:

Eddie Cottongim cottonsqueak at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 17 05:31:20 UTC 2003

Ned wrote:

> Not if you're saying that localEvt is invariant.
>
> localEvt may be changed when it's passed to the child (set the handled
> flag, install a handler).

For the handled flag, the dispatchers seem to use that as a terminating
condition. I have no idea how unsafe installing handlers would be.

> Also, the transform could very well change as a reaction to a handled
> event (for instance, a keystroke on a scrollbar). Whether we could
> assume that the transform didn't change when the event wasn't
> handled, I don't know (it's possible but not polite for a morph to
> react to an event but not say it handled it).

Wouldn't that mean that the order of submorphs would make a big difference
in how events work? One early in the list can change the rules for the
others. Well, I guess thats possible.

Maybe defining things a little more strictly would allow some optimizations.
I suppose the more generic the framework, the poorer it may be expected to
perform.

I was hoping it was an area to be improved. I'm getting 60% CPU just
twiddling the mouse around the world and its sad.

Eddie