Can Squeak....

usf truth usftruth at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 18 01:40:56 UTC 2003

I am working out the details of a project, but I am
not sure the best programming language/tool set to
use.I volunteered at OOPSLA 2001, and was awed by
Squeak, but I have not tried to use it. I am going to
try to create a web based addressbook, that has the
ability to sync with multiple different clients (web
browsers, email clients, and dumps into palm db
format), running on different OS (OSX, W2K, Linux).
Tied to the addressbook, I had visioned adding a
geneology app that would provide relationship details
to the individuals listed in the addressbook. I had
thoughts of using PHP/MySQL/Linux, but then I saw an
article listed in "Business View" magazine that
sparked my thinking that maybe, since Squeak is cross
platform, it might be able to do it.

Sp that questions so far are:
Can Squeak do dynamic lines based on DB based
relationships (parent-child, brother-sister,
husband-wife)? and draw these graphically dynamically?
Can Squeak interact with MySQL?
Can I create it as an applett and run it from the web
or from a desktop?
Is Squeak the best method?
How well does Squeak handle multimedia?

Thanks,