Sublicensing

Colin Putney cputney at wiresong.ca
Tue Aug 19 16:25:55 UTC 2003

On Tuesday, August 19, 2003, at 09:29  AM, goran.krampe at bluefish.se
wrote:

> But since I haven't been able to even raise one single little concern
> with you Andreas I don't think there is any point for me to continue
> this thread. You don't see any problem whatsoever with contributors
> adding clauses. I do. We are obviously just stuck here. Now I am
> waiting
> for someone else to chime in or I am dropping it, it is just a waste of
> time.

What I got out of this thread is that support for a "don't sue me"
license isn't as pervasive as it appeared. Perhaps what we really need
is a SqueakL 2.0.

The only real problem with the SqueakL is that it prevents integration
with the broader Open Source and Free Software communities. If we put
in some lawyer time to make the SqueakL simpler and removing the
problematic areas, we could then take *that* license around to the
copyright holders.

Apple is going to be tough to convince no matter what we do. My feeling
is that we have a better chance of success if we're really clear about
what we want when we approach them, and we've done the legwork before
hand.

Achieving consensus among ourselves is a pretty important first step,
and it might be easier if we try for a small change rather than a
radical one.

Colin