3.6 Full release testing (was Re: [BUG]? Upgrade to full image script behavior)

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at cs.otago.ac.nz
Wed Aug 20 02:47:58 UTC 2003

I've been trying to follow this thread, but being a bear of very little
brain, and having had to catch up with an unbelievable number of messages
I've failed to understand something.

I'm not taking or attacking any positions here.  I have no idea what the
best thing to do is.  I just don't understand.

I expect to use only the Full image.
What am I supposed to do about updates?
- Can I be confident that updates to the Base image won't break the
  packages in the Full image?
- Can I be confident that updates to the Base image will have been
  *tested* with all the packages in the Full image, and that updates
  will check for the presence of packages they are incompatible with,
  so that I will be warned about and allowed to cancel an update that
  might break the Full image?
- Will packages that are not part of the Base image also have some
  kind of update stream, or will they only be replaced in toto on
  SqueakMap?
- Is there _anything_ I can do to keep a Full Squeak current, or do
  I just jump from official release to official release?

To be perfectly honest, I have hitherto *preferred* "wait for the next
stable release" to "keep quite current", but I have been feeling a bit
guilty about that, because it's one of the main reasons why I haven't
done any bug fix testing.  The fact that a bug fix seems to work in my
image does NOT imply that it works in a fully patched image, so I've
felt that any bug testing I did would have been pointless.