Object Hierarchy/ Structure

Roel Wuyts wuyts at iam.unibe.ch
Wed Aug 20 07:18:26 UTC 2003

I guess you want more information regarding research getting around
class hierarchies?
I can point you to a number of papers regarding
- multiple inheritance
- mixins
- traits
- object-based delegation
but I want to be sure that this is what you are asking. Especially your
concern ("problem that a node can be taken out and it breaks those
below it") interests me. Could you elaborate a bit?

On Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003, at 18:07 Europe/Zurich, Gary McGovern wrote:

> I'm interested to know if there has been some work done into finding a
> better structure than a tree/hierarchy. I've always felt that it is a
> problem that a node can be taken out and it breaks those below it.
>
> Perhaps part of the problem is that the object hierarchy is following a
> pattern based on the building blocks of matter, whereas computing
> objects
> are based on thought and representations of matter. So there must be a
> better pattern/structure.
>
> So it seems to me.
>
> I was thinking that perhaps another layer would solve the problem.
>
> Part of the problem is rigid dependencies.
>
> Thanks!
> Gary

Roel Wuyts                                                   Software
Composition Group
roel.wuyts at iam.unibe.ch                       University of Bern,
Switzerland
http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~wuyts/