Squeak on MacOS version identification?

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Wed Aug 20 04:25:54 UTC 2003

> I have Squeak running under MacOS 8.6.
> Smalltalk platformName = 'Mac OS'
> Smalltalk osVersion  = '860'
>
> The only implementor of #osVersion I can find is the one in
> SystemDictionary:  ^(self getSystemAttribute: 1002) asString
>
> Can/could (Smalltalk getSystemAttribute: 1002) ever return something
> other than a string of digits?
According to the original design specpage (happens to be the swiki -
http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/314 ) attribute 1000+ is supposed to
be
-1001 - basic OS type: "unix", "win32", "mac",...
-1002 - specific OS type: "solaris2.5" on unix, "win95" on win32,...
-1003 - processor architecture: "68k", "x86", "PowerPC",...

So to meet this requirement the Mac ought to be returning Mac OS 8.60
Acorn return RiscOS 4.15 (or whatever) and it looks like Windows returns
'95'' or 'NT'. Unix returns something derived from a scary looking bit
of sed in the makefile/autoconf code and on my RH 7.1 machine it
actually gives 'linux-gnu' which doesn't seem to quite match that spec.

The method in the image merely specifies 'the operating system version'.

Perhaps we should decide on which spec we really mean and meet it?

tim
"Bother," said Pooh, and deleted his message base.