3.6 Full release testing (was Re: [BUG]? Upgrade to full image script behavior)

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Wed Aug 20 18:41:53 UTC 2003

Julian Fitzell wrote:

> I'll just throw in one more time though that they don't need the
> upgrade to full script if they download the full image.  And unless
> you're going to put an update into the stream to load the full
> packages every time you put an image up, how are people ever going to
> see that prompt?  If you put that prompt in as update X, any future
> image that already has update X will never show the prompt.
>
> It seems like you'd be much better to have a menu option on the world
> menu or something that would load all the full packages - that way you
> don't need to know about the load script.  If for some reason you
> download the base image instead of the full image (why would you?) you
> can stumble (or find in the docs) the menu item to load them.

There are some Squeakers who seem to like to update their existing
images for long periods of time, so I don't see any harm in supporting
them by offering a prompt to upgrade to Full, so they don't have to
start over with a fresh image.  But you're right that some people would
miss this one-time prompt if they download a later image.  But if we add
the prompt again whenever a batch of package removals occurs (as I
suggested), that will lessen this problem somewhat.

Also, if we're talking alpha images, Bruce O'Neel posts the latest alpha
images to the ftp site on a regular basis.  I'm not sure if he needs to
deal with the hassle of also posting a Full alpha image every time as
well.  (Although maybe you were just talking about people downloading
the Full stable release.)

Adding a menu option to upgrade to full isn't a bad idea.  We could
always add an "upgrade to Full release" menu item on the help menu,
below "update code from server", or something like that...

- Doug