Framebuffer driver now in Beta...

Alan Grimes alangrimes at starpower.net
Wed Aug 20 22:11:09 UTC 2003

Ian the great has produced another masterpiece. His framebuffer driver
is now roughly beta quality with only minor issues remaining. =)))

Being able to get into my immage again I started poking around....

running explorer on "Smalltalk keys" revealed that there are something
like 1,700 symbols in the global dictionary! AIEEEEEEEE!! It is unclear
wheather these are simply classes or pool dictionaries that should be
reviewd. If these are classes then this complexity should be much abated
if I manage to implement my Sphere Operating System. ;)

The explorer didn't seem to provide any way to inspect the values of
these keys.... I am in over my head at this point and wouldn't even know
where to begin implementing such functionality myself....

I also looked at the implementation of System Dictionary and went ahead
and removed all the depreciated methods except two...

I am very pleased to see the complexity of these older classes being
managed. =)

For 3.6 I would suggest that
- all obsolete/depreciated methods be removed
- All empty method categories be removed and the remainder alphebetized.
- obsolete classes such as Array2D be removed..
- The global system dictionary be reviewed for obsolete variables. (If I
understand what I'm talking about correctly).

Most of this is pretty trivial and I was able to do some of it with the
immage I'm currently using... I am not sure how to submit the changes I
have made for review and possible inclusion in the release.

--
"Nobody wants to say how this works. Mabye nobody knows."
        - The man page for XF86Config, One of the key config files

http://users.rcn.com/alangrimes/