3.6 Full release testing (was Re: [BUG]? Upgrade to full image

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Wed Aug 20 19:12:31 UTC 2003

Martin Wirblat wrote:

>Hi Göran,
>

>>I agree with Michael, there is no change in practice I think. If a
>>package isn't being used then it isn't being tested - regardless if it
>>is in the image or not.
>>

>And if it is not in the image, it is not being used and so it will not
>get tested. That would be a big change in practice.

I think this depends on the package.  With something like Scamper, I
think I agree with you that it would get a lot more casual usage and
testing if it were in more people's images.  For example, when you click
on a URL in the Welcome window... if Scamper isn't there, it tells you
that you have no web browser installed and many people probably won't
bother to load Scamper at that point.

On the other hand, with something like VMMaker testing it probably
doesn't make much difference whether it's in a lot of people's images or
not.

>The Full-stream would give us a cheap testing-setup by giving as many
>people as possible the chance to play around with Full _before_ the
>release, even if we can't test everything 100%.

I think the "upgrade to full" prompt we're talking about will be "good
enough" for these purposes, to get a larger number of people testing
some of these full packages before the release.

>Again I must say we should either have a real update stream for Full
>( including the Full-package-updates ) or a combination of image- and
>package-update streams. Or something else, but in the end the updating
>should be incremental and automated. To download and override complete
>packages is too clumsy.

In the short-term, having a real, separate update stream for Full is
basically more work than I'm willing/able to do.  But there may be other
ways to support better automated updating for Full image folks which we
could look at later, after SM2 at least.  Maybe even something simple
like:  After loading updates, prompting to update one's Full packages if
any of them are out of date.  (The prompt would only appear for people
who are using a Full image.)

- Doug