Squeak on MacOS version identification?

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Wed Aug 20 21:08:10 UTC 2003

"Andreas Raab" <andreas.raab at gmx.de> wrote:

> Where does it claim this? All I find is a "..." at
> http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/314 ;-)
I think it's reasonably obvious;
  -1002 - specific OS type: "solaris2.5" on unix, "win95" on win32,...
"win95" on win32 is fairly clear to me.

> [snip] I don't have an inclination to change it
> because the "swiki spec" disagrees ;-)
Well as far as I remember and can tell from the history, you wrote the
swiki page,so you're only disagreeing with yourself.

> [snip] I think we shouldn't get locked up too much by
> defining this as a "spec" in that strict sense. Like I was saying it's hard
> to be very specific.
I'm happy to agree with that but we really ought not document something
incorrectly. Misleading doc is usually more harmful than no doc.

> > c) change Acorn to return '4.15' instead of 'RiscOS 4.15' and change
> > the swiki page.

> Clearly my preferred choice is:
>
> d) Change the swiki page to _document_ the actual behavior and leave
> everything as is
No, that would be horribly confusing. c) is the answer you want since
then things will at least be reasonably consistent.

tim
Fractured Idiom:- FELIX NAVIDAD - Our cat has a boat