Another general question to the list

Stephan B. Wessels swessels at cox.net
Wed Aug 20 09:23:16 UTC 2003

About 10 years ago I read a book by John Koza
(http://www.genetic-programming.org/gpbook1toc.html) concerning a topic
such as this.  I remember purchasing several VHS video tapes showing
examples.  John was doing demos using LISP where the solution was
derived using natural selection.  The whole concept of programming
computers to solve problems by natural selection is a neat idea.  I
happened to mention to a colleague recently that some developers work
this way unknowingly.  They create a complex complete unit test and
then keep trying different "solutions" to get the test to pass without
thinking about the domain.  I actually like spending time developing a
complete unit test first.  It helps me to understand the problem.

Not sure where the Koza tapes are now or if they are available today.

  - Steve

--
"The real romance is out ahead and yet to come. The computer revolution
hasn't started yet. Don't be misled by the enormous flow of money into