[GOODIE] Method Annotations

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Wed Aug 20 23:31:36 UTC 2003

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003, Andreas Raab wrote:

> Oh, interesting. I wasn't aware someone else is interested in associating
> meta-properties with methods.

I've been interested in that for a long time - see, for example, this
silly Java paper (which uses such properties to trigger code
transformations):
http://www.cs.ubc.ca/labs/spl/papers/2002/aosd02-explicit.html

> Here is my attempt on it - slightly less
> verbose as it uses the <pragma: foo> syntax but slightly more restricted in
> such that the annotation can only be unary (so no <key: #hello value:
> #world> annotations though this would be fixable). And of course it hacks
> Parser ;-)

Aha, cool.  But January 2, 2002, and you never posted this earlier??

I think extending it to support any arity of annotation is probably useful
- particularly when you're using annotations to specify UI, it seems like
you usually need a number of different pieces of info for each property.
And it would be a shame to regress to positional parameters.

If that's relatively easy to fix, then this is an ENH I'd lobby to get
into the image... I think it opens up a whole bunch of interesting
possibilities.