Dynabook Usability

David Faught dave_faught at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 21 17:41:55 UTC 2003

I have been playing with something roughly along the same lines, but
I'm a more concrete example kind of person.  Recently, I bought an old
233 mhz tablet computer to see what kind of fun I could have being
wireless and mobile.  The tablet came with a separate keyboard, but for
the purpose of being very mobile, I decided that an on-screen keyboard
would work better.  To do the virtual paper thing in Squeak, a first
attempt led me to try a BookMorph.  This seems to do a fair job,
although there is no intelligence behind it, as there might be with
something like Jacaranda.  The next thing I need to do is add a Genie
gesture to bring up a new PaintInvokingMorph to fill the pages of the
BookMorph a bit quicker.

Even though I am using Genie for "control" gestures, I opted to not use
it for text recognition, preferring instead the on-screen keyboard, or
just straight painting.  So far, this is working pretty well.