DVS prompts when loading "Upgrade to Full" package

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Fri Aug 22 03:22:00 UTC 2003

I was going to add the prompt to the update stream to allow people to
load the "Upgrade to 3.6 Full Image" package if desired, to get back to
a Full image.  However, if you actually load the upgrade, a bunch of
these prompts come up asking if you want to install DVS:

"DVS support is not loaded, but would be helpful in loading member
named <memberName>.
It isn't necessary, but if you intend to use DVS later it would be a
good idea to load it now.
Load it from SqueakMap?"

It comes up 13 times, once when loading the Games package, and 12 times
when loading the Balloon3D package.  We should really get rid of these.

Here's what I'd say our options are:

1. Change SARInstaller>>fileInPackageNamed: to not bring up this prompt
any more, it will simply not use DVS if it isn't already loaded.
2. Change the Games and Balloon3D packages to not use DVS format.
3. Load DVS automatically. (bad idea, but I'll include it just for
laughs)
4. Do nothing, let everyone upgrading click on the "No" prompt 13
times, or load DVS.

#3 is pretty much out of the question, since we decided not to include
DVS as part of the Basic of Full releases, and it's being phased out by
its authors.  #4 isn't really much of an option either.

So that leaves either #1 or #2.  Either sounds okay to me, although I'd
probably lean toward #1.

One other minor thing that comes up when loading the upgrade, if you
have a somewhat fresh image, is that you are prompted to enter your
initials during the VMMaker install.  That's because it executes this
in the .sar preamble:  "Object class compile: 'touch' classified:
'temporary fakeout' notifying: nil."  Not sure why this is needed, but
I guess it's not a big deal.

Other than that, the upgrade script seems to work pretty well.  I
fiddled around with a bunch of the packages, and nothing broke, at
least. :-)  Also, the 3 unit test packages passed.

- Doug