[OT]Big endian eggs

Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de
Fri Aug 22 08:00:42 UTC 2003

On Thu, Aug 21, 2003 at 01:26:15AM -0700, Michael Rueger wrote:

> wonder which architecture uses these:
>
> http://whatisthematrix.warnerbros.com/rl_img/onset_reloaded_sl7.jpg

;-) But did you know that the terms big- and little- endian were used for
eggs originally?  They come frome Part I, Chapter 4 of Jonathan Swifts's
"Gullivers Travels":

"...our histories of six thousand moons make no mention of any other regions
than the two great empires of Lilliput and Blefuscu. Which two mighty powers
have, as I was going to tell you, been engaged in a most obstinate war for
six-and-thirty moons past. It began upon the following occasion. It is
allowed on all hands, that the primitive way of breaking eggs, before we eat
them, was upon the larger end; but his present majesty's grandfather, while
he was a boy, going to eat an egg, and breaking it according to the ancient
practice, happened to cut one of his fingers. Whereupon the emperor his
father published an edict, commanding all his subjects, upon great
penalties, to break the smaller end of their eggs. The people so highly
resented this law, that our histories tell us, there have been six
rebellions raised on that account; wherein one emperor lost his life, and
another his crown. These civil commotions were constantly fomented by the
monarchs of Blefuscu; and when they were quelled, the exiles always fled for
refuge to that empire. It is computed that eleven thousand persons have at
several times suffered death, rather than submit to break their eggs at the
smaller end. Many hundred large volumes have been published upon this
controversy: but the books of the Big-endians have been long forbidden, and
the whole party rendered incapable by law of holding employments. During the
course of these troubles, the emperors of Blefusca did frequently
expostulate by their ambassadors, accusing us of making a schism in
religion, by offending against a fundamental the Blundecral (which is their
Alcoran). This, however, is thought to be a mere strain upon the text; for
the words are these: 'that all true believers break their eggs at the
convenient end.'

And which is the convenient end, seems, in my humble opinion to be left to
every man's conscience, or at least in the power of the chief magistrate to
determine.  Now, the Big-endian exiles have found so much credit in the
emperor of Blefuscu's court, and so much private assistance and
encouragement from their party here at home, that a bloody war has been
carried on between the two empires for six-and-thirty moons, with various
success; during which time we have lost forty capital ships, and a much a
greater number of smaller vessels, together with thirty thousand of our best
seamen and soldiers; and the damage received by the enemy is reckoned to be
somewhat greater than ours. However, they have now equipped a numerous
fleet, and are just preparing to make a descent upon us; and his imperial
majesty, placing great confidence in your valour and strength, has commanded
me to lay this account of his affairs before you."

--
Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de  -- Squeak! http://squeak.de