Gaming paper advice sought

Eddie Cottongim cottonsqueak at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 22 17:38:45 UTC 2003

Hi Richard,

I did a game demo in Squeak a while back that you can look at here.
 http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/3136

Other than using usual good software engineering practices, it would be good
for someone doing gaming to be familar with techniques of simulation. You
can live without this, but you'll spend a lot of time rediscovering certain
concepts (such as discrete vs. continous simulations, for example). A solid
concept of how time is managed is especially important. Many games operate
almost as a function of time. The immediate benefit is keeping simulation
speed stable on different hardware, but also has other nice properties.
Prediction (to combat network latency) can become as simple as evaluating f
(t+200) instead of  f (t) (t is time in milliseconds). Thats not so easy
when time management is spread out all over the place as you would get with
a simple 'step as fast as you can' type implementation.

Hope that helps,
Eddie