[OT]Big endian eggs

Matej Kosik kosik at decef.elf.stuba.sk
Sun Aug 24 15:43:08 UTC 2003

On Sun, Aug 24, 2003 at 05:00:08PM +0200, Matej Kosik wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 22, 2003 at 03:41:05PM -0700, Colin Putney wrote:
> >
> > On Friday, August 22, 2003, at 02:22 PM, Andreas Raab wrote:
> >
> > > And now that we got this let's go back to the roots for real. Why do we
> > > actually write numbers big-endian? ;-)
> >
> > Well, actually we write them little-endian in a right-to-left script.
> > Whoever stole arabic numerals from the arabs apparently didn't bother
> > to do the required digit-swapping when using them with the Roman
> > alphabet. Perhaps it was because Roman numerals were big-endian.

reversing the order in which we write the digits of the numbers would
be a bad idea:

EN: I have learned these 1234 (One thousand Two hundred and Thirdty Four) words.

ES: Yo aprendre estos 1234 (Un mil Doscientos Treinta y Cuatro) palabras.

SK: Naucil som sa tychto 1234 ((Jeden) tisicDvestoTridsatStryri) slov.

HU: Megtanultam azt a 1234 ((Egy) ezer Ketszaz Harminc Negy) szot.

(German and Czech (occasionnally) does not fit because they swap the ones and the tens,
 they write it in a different order as they read it).
--
Matej Kosik <http://infobox.sk/kosik>
ICQ: 300133844