Dynabook Usability

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at merlintec.com
Thu Aug 28 15:34:11 UTC 2003

On Thursday 28 August 2003 12:15, Gary McGovern wrote:
> Well I expected a bit better feedback on this topic.If you read into
> some reusable paper research you'll find some paper is made of
> plastic sheets with tiny beads enclosed. This could go much further.

E-Ink is only of the interesting developments. Besides all the OLED
(organic light emitting diode) stuff there is also the "butterfly
display" which I mentioned in another message in this thread. Philips
had some "cloth screen" research, though I haven't seen anything more
about it for a couple of years.

> I partly agree with Alan about the virtual pages but has it been
> tested which works better? All virtual pages or a combination of real
> and virtual pages. As I said, I like to flick through pages with my
> hands. But I also like to click through pages on a screen. But I
> don't like to have lots of windows open on one screen.

When the pages are dynamic, I don't see the point of having more than
two of them.

> I'd also like to know if anyone knows about ongoing hardware research
> that would suite such lightweight components. I,ve read a bit about
> nanotech, plastic processors (or is it circuitry) which seem
> interesting.

Check out http://www.rolltronics.com/

though this article might give you a better idea of what they are up to:

-- Jecel