New and confused

johnhinsley at blueyonder.co.uk johnhinsley at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Aug 29 04:45:50 UTC 2003

On Friday 29 August 2003 4:55 am, Tae Chong wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm very new to the squeak/smalltalk environment, but not new to
> programming.  I've had previous experience with C and most recently Perl,
> but I cannot figure out how to create an application using squeak or
> smalltalk.  I've downloaded squeak and started it's IDE environment and
> began the initial tutorial's, and found the workspace very interesting.
> So, my question is how does one create an application in the smalltalk
> environment and run it from a command line - I run most of my programs on a
> Linux platform.

Essentially, you don't! The IDE and the application are linked: if you like,
after you've written your application, you have a Squeak image which contains
your application, stuff which your application needs and stuff which it
doesn't.

Traditionally, you can just file out the changesets which constitute your
application, give them to anyone who wants them who can file them into their
Squeak and run them from there.

Or you can export your application as a project (a more modern way of doing
things -- there are lots of projects you can import on Bobs Super Swiki, for
example).

Finally, you can shrink your image until it contains the bare minimum
(including your application) and send that to people.

There's stuff on all this on the swiki (and the search tool is pretty good).

I'd add practical details, but I'm awefully rusty myself ;-) and it's time for
bed.

HTH a little

Cheers

John