squeak license

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at merlintec.com
Fri Aug 29 19:29:20 UTC 2003

On Thursday 28 August 2003 14:42, ALR wrote:
> I want to develop a businness/financial  software that deals with
> customers, invoices, accouting, cash flow, charts , sql database and
> that sort of thing.
> This software will have nothing to do with Squeak, except it would be
> built on top of Squeak.
> It would run on a modified version of squeak VM, with all of the
> development tools and lot of packages deleted from the image, no
> sources and no way to get 'in' the system.

You don't need to modify the virtual machine at all for this. Just strip
out the classes you don't want from the image and probably set a few
preferences.

> I'm ok for giving all the source of the tools and extensions to the
> system and vm I could develop (widgets, printing, tricks, howto, etc)
> to the Squeak comunity, but ONLY to the Squeak community.

Well, anyone can join the "community", so anything you give to it is
available to the whole world (in theory, in practice most people would
not be aware of how they could get your sources).

> I don't want to distribute any source with my software, just the
> exe/image files, and nothing else.

Exactly - you don't need to give the .changes nor the .sources files.
But you have to "protect" the application if you don't want the users
to be able to browse with the decompiler or debugger.

Note that only your .image file would be different from the standard
distribution. The .exe one, from what you have written so far, would be
unchanged. So:

> I don't want to display any special license or copyright mention
> anywhere in the software.

There is no need.

-- Jecel