Squeak on 1600x1200 TFT display

Joshua 'Schwa' Gargus schwa at cc.gatech.edu
Fri Aug 29 21:20:58 UTC 2003

On Fri, Aug 29, 2003 at 03:12:37PM -0500, Aaron J Reichow wrote:
> I've not been using the fonts on such a large screen, but I've noticed a
> bluriness in the TrueType package as well.
>
> It looks as if it was anti-aliased a bit much, or that the algorithm for
> AA has a blurrier tendency.

The latter.  It is using a general AA algorithm that doesn't utilize
hints built into the fonts.

> Anyone know how to change this?  Something a
> little sharper, although still nice looking?

Jim Gettys suggested that writing a plugin to interface to Xft2 would
be the way to go (http://freetype.sourceforge.net/index2.html).  Their
licence page appears to be missing, but I found a copy at:
http://www.reportmagic.org/docs/FTL.txt

Squeak fonts would look as nice as any others out there!

Joshua