In Workspace, when coding, how to list only methods avaialable for an Object(in popup)

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Mon Dec 1 11:48:33 UTC 2003

Hi!

Milan Zimmermann <milan.zimmermann at sympatico.ca> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This question has likely an obvious answer but I could not find one searching
> the Squeak sites and trying everything I can think of. Basically, if I write
> something in Workspace like
>
> tm := TextMorph new.
> tm
>
>  at this point, I would like to hist a CTRL-SOMETHING and see all methods
> available for this class. I realize I can highlight "TextMorph" and type
> CTRL-i (Linux) and get the Class inspector where I can see the methods
> dictionary but this is a slow 2-step process.

Eh, it would be better to press CTRL-b (to browse that class) than
CTRL-i. By the way, most of us type Alt-i and Alt-b, but that of course
depends on your ctrl/alt-mapping.

> Likewise I can type a letter
> after "tm", such as
>
> tm a
>
> and hit CTRL-q and get ALL methods starting with "a" which to me is almost not
> useful at all. Is there a way to limit the list to only methods on "tm"?

This is tricky since Smalltalk is dynamically typed, so we really don't
know what kind of object it holds, since it has no declared type. On the
other hand - if being in the debugger - where you would actually have an
object available in the variable "tm" then we could theoretically enable
"smart" CTRL/Alt-q.

In general I think we should in the future try to make the debugger the
place where code is written. :-)

regards, Göran