In Workspace, when coding, how to list only methods avaialable for an Object(in popup)

Milan Zimmermann milan.zimmermann at sympatico.ca
Tue Dec 2 08:09:57 UTC 2003

Goran,

Thanks for your comments ... a few notes and a few more questions ...

On December 1, 2003 06:48 am, goran.krampe at bluefish.se wrote:
<<snip>>
> > Basically, if I write something in Workspace like
> >
> > tm := TextMorph new.
> > tm
> >
> >  at this point, I would like to hist a CTRL-SOMETHING and see all methods
> > available for this class. I realize I can highlight "TextMorph" and type
> > CTRL-i (Linux) and get the Class inspector where I can see the methods
> > dictionary but this is a slow 2-step process.
>
> Eh, it would be better to press CTRL-b (to browse that class) than
> CTRL-i. By the way, most of us type Alt-i and Alt-b, but that of course
> depends on your ctrl/alt-mapping.

I use the Class Browser (Alt-b for me), but it only shows methods available on
the class I am browsing, not the superclasses .. so if I want to find a name
of method on "TextMorph" that changes color, I do not see it ... i can walk
up the class hiererachy in the browser and eventually find a "color:" method
in Morph but that is too lenghty. I use the "Method Finder", but to find
methods defined in superclass again requires knowledge of the class
hierarchy.

<<snip>>

> if being in the debugger - where you would actually have an
> object available in the variable "tm" then we could theoretically enable
> "smart" CTRL/Alt-q.
>
> In general I think we should in the future try to make the debugger the
> place where code is written. :-)

If using debugger would give me the ability to explore the methods available I
am all for it :) Can I write code in the debugger today? I  tried by
highlighting a piece of code, CTRL-L-CLICK and "debug it" but once in the
debugger i cannot really do any Class Browsing ... I can "Explore it" but
only on declared variables.

In any case, it would be beautiful if one could hit CTRL-q after writing a
variable name in the debugger and see 2 sets of methods: 1) in bold, methods
on the class of the object and 2) methods in all superclasses up the class
hierarchy. (Having multi-character on-the-fly-when-typing string match would
be cool too...)

One more question: Is ther a way to "attach to" Class Browser or Explorer in
the sense that I may have a ClassBrowser open already and i don';t want to
open a new Classbrowser for every other "Alt-b" .. just to save the efort of
closing them after the use...

Thanks, Milan