About Flow in Squeak 3.X

Jimmie Houchin jhouchin at texoma.net
Tue Dec 2 21:47:26 UTC 2003

Craig Latta wrote:

> Hi Stef--
>

>>Thanks craig for this email. My gut feeling impression is that 4.0 is
>>far in the future for me.
>

> 	Does that mean that if there were a minimal-snapshot-plus modules
> system available right now, it would still be a while before you could
> use it? Just curious.

I would like one of these the-sooner-the-better.

Especially if you could take one and just add Comanche, SmallWiki,
Seaside, etc. and off and running you are with your website.

The full-image Squeak already exists and the minimal-snapshot-plus
system becoming available should not impede its growth.

>>So may be if someone is willing to do that it would be a good idea to
>>have Flow sooner.
>
> 	I actually think it'd be better to obviate any reasons to stay with the
> accreted snapshot. :)  Making major changes in the old snapshot will
> just slow that down.

People requiring what the "old snapshot" or current Squeak does can
still use the current Squeak. Nothing impairs/impedes current capabilities.

To me this adds to the Squeak/Smalltalk world not subtracts from it.

Ok, ok bad phrasing or maybe not.
You decide. :)

It seems this would be of interest to the embedded Squeak guys.
Dan, Jon, Michael, ...?

>>I understand that you want to focus on something else, still I'm a
>>bit afraid that this will not happen (but may be this is my dark
>>face that is talking).
>
> 	Well, it's already happening from a technical perspective. :)  I guess
> there's some question as to whether it'll be Squeak or something else,
> sure. That's part of the planning I'd like to do now.

I think many are interested.

Which is easier/better?
Comanche/Seaside/etc built-on/converted-to Flow or
... as they are and install Squeak's stream/network classes into
minimal-snapshot-plus-modules-image?

Yes, naive question from someone unknowledgeable about it all.

Thanks.

Jimmie Houchin