debugging complex objects

Markus Gaelli gaelli at emergent.de
Wed Dec 3 08:21:59 UTC 2003

Hi Ralph,

> What I want to do is add a selection in the debugger menu
> so that instead of inspecting an object or exploring
> it I can run the gui on it.
> Of course I can alway type "instanceVariable runGuiForObject"
> inside the debugger but adding this capability would be simpler.
As soon as we have Monticello or some other clean way to integrate
method extensions in the basic image, I also think this to be a very
good thing to have. It would be very much in the spirit of naked
objects,

http://www.nakedobjects.org/introduction.html

which Alan and Andreas for example also like a lot.

But until then I would suggest you to use Monticello and put a
"runGuiForObject" or "openDefault" (see below) method in some
"*MyOwnParserGenerator-GUI" category of your classes.
See also

http://beta4.com/squeak/aubergines/docs/packageinfo.html

As long as we don't have a nice way to separate between
model and GUI aspects of an object in the basic image, the introduction
of this in the  basic image could lead to further intertwining of model
and GUI
and make the task to remove packages more cumbersome.

It would be very nice to agree on an interface name for that already,
though:
I do not like the name "runGuiForObject".  I'd call it "openDefault" or
something like this.
Folks?

Regards

Markus