Squeak on AMD64

Jimmie Houchin jhouchin at texoma.net
Thu Dec 4 00:08:58 UTC 2003

I am trying to compile Squeak on my Opteron server.

I just recently got Gentoo Linux installed on it.
It is a 64 bit OS.

I get this error on configure:

../platforms/unix/config/configure
checking sanity of VMMaker src directory... okay
checking build system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
checking host system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu

Configuring Squeak 3.6g-2 (3.6g-5420) for x86_64-linux-gnu

checking for gcc... gcc
checking for executable suffix...
checking for object suffix... o
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for as... as
checking for GNU as... yes
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking for a BSD compatible install... /bin/install -c
checking for BSD-compatible nm... /usr/bin/nm -B
checking for ln... ln
checking "size of int"... "okay"
checking "size of time_t"... "bad"
configure: error: "one or more basic data types has an incompatible
size: giving up"

size of time_t on Gentoo-amd64 is 64bits

Any ideas?

How difficult will it be to make Squeak 64bit clean?
Or will I just need to drop down into a 32bit dev environment?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Jimmie Houchin