"Singletons" package on SM

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Thu Dec 4 11:09:07 UTC 2003

On Dec 4, 2003, at 2:59 AM, ducasse wrote:

>>> You should have a look at my comparison
>>> http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~scg/Archive/Papers/
>>> Duca99aMsgPassingControl.pdf
>>>
>>> If I remember well in VW I did something similar, but
>>> 	I created a new behavior copied the format of the class to this
>>> behavior, then compile class to be superclass
>>> 	and superclass to be class superclass.
>>
>> Ah, I may now understand your objection better - what you were doing
>> in your paper was trying to affect an entire class of objects at
>> once, transparently.    I'm trying to affect a single instance, and
>> it doesn't need/want to be transparent.  I'm not using the existing
>> lookup mechanism to hack in new semantics (like my Mixin
>> implementation does, for example), I'm really just trying to
>> introduce a new way of defining subclasses (that happen to have
>> exactly one instance).
>
> No read it well I can have instance based behavior!

Ah - well, in your 3.2 you do talk about instance based behavior, but
you use precisely the same approach I do (don't you?).  It sounded like
you might have been describing 3.1, which is across the whole class.
Sorry for the confusion.

To be completely clear: you don't have a way to both get instance based
behavior, and not have "inst class superclass" yield the original
class, do you?

By the way, that's a great paper, it should be required reading for
serious smalltalkers ;).

Avi