Gentoo AMD64 32bit build problems

Jimmie Houchin jhouchin at texoma.net
Fri Dec 5 16:10:09 UTC 2003

Hello Bert,

Thanks for the reply.

Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> Jimmie Houchin wrote:
>
>> I exported this CFLAGS="-m32 -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
>> The -m32 enters me into the 32bit environment on this machine.
>>
>> This gets me a successful configure and the opportunity to make.
>> Make fails.
>
> This does not look like a 64bit problem. Rather, the VM seems to assume
> you build your plugins internally, while seemingly they are built as
> external objects. What src tree did you use?

It shouldn't be a 64bit problem because I have both 64bit and 32bit libs
and I passed in -m32 to put me in the 32bit environment. I only
mentioned 64bit because of message I wrote yesterday where the 64bit
configure was failing.

My apologies for not including source information.
I am using as far as I can tell the latest from Ian, the 3.6g2 sources.

My process was merely,

tar xvzf Squeak-3.6g2-src.tar.gz
cd Squeak-3.6g2
mkdir bld
cd bld
../platforms/unix/config/configure
make

I've done that a dozen times on my desktop, Gentoo Linux on Athlon.
All build beautifully.

I don't know what's different about my environment that is causing a
failure.

Thanks.

Jimmie Houchin