[BUG][FIX] MVC: FormEditor is broken

Boris Gaertner Boris.Gaertner at gmx.net
Fri Dec 5 23:21:42 UTC 2003

The MVC FormEditor is broken since Squeak 2.7
(or even longer, I did not check earlier versions)
Attached you find a change set that brings that piece of
code back to life. To start the editor, execute
   FormEditor newForm.

The Form Editor is very old stuff. The "blue book"
"Smalltalk-80, The Language and its Implementation",
reprint from May 1989, contains a screenshot that shows
the form editor. (Figure 18.1 on page 332)
A detailed description of the editor and its use can be found in
"Adele Goldberg:
Smalltalk-80 The Interactive Programming Environment",
in chapter 7, pages 120 - 135.

As Smalltalk-80 did not support color, the FormEditor was
designed to edit black-and-white forms. To understand
how it worked in Smalltalk-80, you should set the
display depth of Squeak to 1.
An attempt was made to bring color support to the form editor
of  Squeak but that attempt was only a partial success.

I think that we should build an improved version of a
form editor for MVC, but I would prefer to do this from scratch.
The form editor in category 'ST80-Editors' should be for
historical reasons.

Greetings, Boris