Adding m17n to 3.7/4.0 (was Re: About 3.7)

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Mon Dec 8 05:52:06 UTC 2003

On Sunday, December 7, 2003, at 03:40 PM, Yoshiki Ohshima wrote:

>   Since it handles different encodings for different files, the
> .sources file *doesn't* have to be changed.  Of course, it is
> preferable to change it.  The encoding of .changes will have to be
> changed.

It looks like we have a few options:

1. Include m17n (multilingualization) very soon in the 3.7alpha update
stream. (after m17n is brought up to date again)  This means that the
encoding for the .changes file will be different than the .sources file
for the 3.7 release, which would be odd, but might not be terrible.
The .sources file encoding would be updated whenever we moved to 4.0,
which might be the release after 3.7.  Also, m17n is a large,
time-consuming update, but I guess we probably wouldn't include the
actual japanese fonts, which make up the bulk of the size.

2. Wait until after 3.7 is released in a few months, and then include
m17n as the first thing in 4.0alpha.  In 4.0 the .sources file would be
re-created in the new encoding.  (Might as well use the new condensed
sources stuff too.)

3. Same as #2, except we release 3.7 very soon, so that 4.0alpha is
also opened soon and m17n is added early in 4.0alpha.

There might be other options.

Actually, I don't like option #3 that much, but either #1 or #2 or
something similar sounds okay with me.  I think it might be good to
have a little bit of time before we open 4.0, so we can figure out what
other big changes we might want to include in the major version number
upgrade.  (Changes requiring an image-format change, etc.)

- Doug