[Poll] Squeak and Most Used Desktop Apps

Russell Allen russell.allen at firebirdmedia.com
Tue Dec 9 01:57:44 UTC 2003

Hi everyone!

Semester is over, papers are marked, students are failed and a young man's fancy
turns to other things...

Squeak includes a lot of functionality - including the SqueakMap stuff, a *lot*
of functionality.  Most of it seems to be more available in potential than in
reality - that is, some of Squeak's abilities are made apparent up front (eg
Email, FileBrowser) and some seem to be more in the nature of a library of code
waiting to be used (eg a lot of the music and image stuff).

As I was musing on this, I thought I would make a list of the programs I use on
my mac, and put next to them the appropriate Squeak equivalent.  For the moment
I'm deliberately ignoring Squeak's most powerful features - the development
environment (ClassBrowsers, ObjectBrowsers etc) and eToys - and just focussing
on the normal(ish) desktop stuff.

My Desktop apps:

OS X				Squeak

Mail.app			Celeste
Sarafi			Scamper
Terminal.app		Ian Piumarta's Telnet package
	telnet			telnet
	ssh				?
	local utils			CommandShell
iPhoto			Imported Images + assorted functionality
iTunes			SqueakAmp
iCal/AddressBook		PIM
Finder			FileBrowser
Dreamweaver			?
BBEdit			Text Editing Facilities
Sibelius			? (Nearest is piano roll)
VSamp (Sampling)		built in sound stuff? FM synthesis?
iSync				?
Word				? (Text Editing Facilities?)
Powerpoint			"How to Build a presentation in Squeak"
Excel				?

(obviously some of the Squeak equivalents aren't very... Safari beats Scamper by
an innings and 10 wickets, for example, but they are roughly the same in nature)

Now, this is just my list.  I'm interested in what the rest of this illustrious
list think... what are your most used desktop applications?  What is the
equivalent functionality in Squeak?  What is missing?

:) Russell